February 29, 2012

DIY Lego Party



My little fellow turned six yesterday and we collaboratively decided a few months ago to host a Lego party to help him celebrate.

I know we could have gone to one of the Lego Centres and had it all taken care of for us, with zero stress, mess, and a devil-may-care attitude about the noise and attention factor, but we're all for home-based parties in our family, so naturally I turned to Google and the Blogosphere for advice.

I then opened up a blank Word document with headings like: Invitations; Decor; Food; Favours; and Games. Then as I found an idea that I liked, I just copied and pasted it straight into my Word doc - it wasn't long before I had a wealth of ideas from which to choose.

INVITATIONS:





I capped the guest list at eight boys (just to keep things sane!) and made a simple Lego brick card-style invitation from coloured cardstock. The Lego men can be found on the Lego City website here - I just printed the sheet and cut them out.





DECOR:
Primary colours are your best friend here - think red, blue, yellow - and for some interest add green, orange, white. My husband blew up bunches of balloons in a single colour and hung them around the room. Tablecloths, plates, cups, napkins and cutlery can each be a different colour for best effect.
I also printed out lots of little Lego men and my daughter blu-tacked them all around the walls for decoration (and they also served as pieces for a game later on).


FOOD:


For younger kids, simplicity is the key. While they looked cute, I think I spent far too much trouble preparing these cheese and cracker Lego heads. The kids didn't care if it looked like Lego or not, and were far more interested in the bowl of chips and lollies! Individual bottles of water are great too - no germ sharing and less spills! For the birthday cake I again chose the simple brick style - just a loaf pan cake with 6 inverted mini cupcakes on top.


FAVOURS:


To keep with the simple brick theme, I picked up a couple of packs of coloured kraft paper bags from Spotlight and added a few circles cut from matching coloured paper. For favours and game prizes I picked up lots of Lego themed stationery items and a few small pieces like mini-figures and keychains that were on clearance. I also printed out some colouring sheets from the Lego website and stapled them into a little booklet, wrapped some smarties boxes to resemble bricks and baked some rectangle biscuits, glazed and topped with mini m&ms.


GAMES:
I love party games and kept the boys busy with building challenges, guessing games, treasure hunts and the perennial favourite: pass-the-parcel. A few colouring sheets and lots of pencils helped pass the time between games and plain ol' free building time was also popular.


A great time was had by all, and my son's friends were still talking about it a few days later, so that's always good!

Home-based parties can seem daunting, but aren't that stressful if you start planning early :)



Sharing with:
Today's Creative Blog
The Haby Goddess - Make : Grow : Thrift
The Organised Housewife - Love it, Like it, Link it


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing your ideas Melanie.
    I have twin boys turning six in July and I want a Lego themed party.
    I have to look out for some Lego party favours I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Trish, thanks for your comments :)
      For Lego party favours, check out your local Big W stationery section - there should still be some Lego brand markers, erasers and stationery sets for around $5 or less. You can always split up the stationery sets to get two or more prizes, so they are good value!

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. To get the LEGO wording on the cardstock circles - I placed them upside down on a bit of thick craft foam and wrote the word backwards with a blunt pencil, then flipped them over and adhered each one to the invite with an adhesive foam square. (the craft foam helps to allow the indentation, if you don't have any, a folded tea-towel would do)

      Delete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.