February 12, 2012

Project Life Inspired Scrapbooking

One of the things on my "to-do" list last year, was to catch up on my scrapbooking.

You see, a couple of years ago I fell into a scrapbooking funk, and although I continued to take lots of photos, they're still sitting stored away in digital format. Like most new scrappers, I went crazy when my daughter was born - I think I had enough pages to fill three entire albums by the time she was 18 months old. My poor son on the other hand? He's about to turn 6 in a couple of weeks, and he has maybe four pages in his measly baby album.

So, back to last year and the dreaded "catch up". Well, it didn't happen. Not at all. Not a single page scrapped. Oh sure, I had grand plans. But it didn't happen. Instead, I got wrapped up in my writing and in a blink the year was gone, and I had another folder on my computer full of unscrapped photos.


Roll on, 2012 - and once again "catch up on my scrapbooking" is on my list of things to do this year. And by now I'm sure many of you Project Life'rs are screaming at me to take up this method of scrapbooking... and I GET it, I really do. But it's just not for me.  There, I've said it. (Please don't hate me... I love Becky) It's just that I'm more of a hands-on crafter - I like showing my own creativity on my pages - even if I have streamlined my approach over the years (thanks to Becky)!


And so I've decided to take the whole Project Life approach to my Family Scrapbooks, by keeping a monthly record of our activities and life's little moments - but scrapped the traditional way - with my choice of papers and embellishments. Then I can focus on just a couple of individual/double page spreads that pertain to my kids each month for their own albums. That cuts my scrapping down to maybe five layouts per month, which I think is achievable.

My Process?

I'm starting with last year (2011).


I've pulled up my folder of photos on my computer and gone through my images one month at a time, jotting down any significant moments in a dedicated notebook. These I've broken down into three catagories: Family, my daughter, and my son.
Each month I will scrap only one layout for the Family album. As you can see from my notebook below, there are eight singular events from January alone. No way am I going to scrap eight different layouts about those! Instead I've gone through them in detail and picked out only two that are of particular importance to each of my children. And these will get scrapped in their own albums.



It's easy to get overwhelmed when you don't break it down. How about you? Do you scrapbook - if so, are you a PL convert?



Linking up to:
Love it, Like it, Link it with The Organised Housewife

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.