October 22, 2012

Banana Muffins

Good afternoon. Would you care to join me for a spot of iced tea? It's terribly warm here in the sunny south-east this long weekend (I say long weekend, as it is a pupil-free day today for my kiddos). And while we have been languishing in this heatwave and lamenting the lack of a non-cloudy pool to swim in (boo), the poor bananas in my fruitbowl have ripened terribly quickly. So what to do? When an early summer gives you over-ripe bananas - you make banana muffins, of course :)

These are terribly simple to make and freeze well too. That's this week's morning tea taken care of for one of my munchkins.



Banana Muffins

Ingredients:
1 1/4 cups self-raising flour, sifted
1/2 cup brown sugar
40g butter, melted and cooled
1 egg
1/3 cup milk
2 ripe bananas, mashed

Method:
  1. Preheat oven to 200°C. Grease 4 large muffin pans. Combine flour and sugar in a mixing bowl. Make a well in the centre.
  2. Using a fork, whisk butter, egg, milk, and bananas together in a jug. Add to flour mixture and fold together until just combined.
  3. Spoon into prepared pans and bake for 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of a muffin comes out clean. Cool in the pans for 5 minutes, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
To Freeze:
Wrap individual muffins in plastic wrap and place into a sealed container.
 
 
My little man loves mini muffins, and I find this recipe makes a full tray of 24 mini muffins - just reduce the baking time to 20 minutes. Also, I freeze them in lots of 3 and pop them into his lunchbox frozen. By morning tea time, they have thawed completely, ready to eat.
 
 

1 comment:

  1. Good Morning Melanie, I just love banana muffins. I use my bananas to make a banana tea bread which is delicious. The bananas make the cake very moist. Enjoyed reading that your little one loves these cakes. Have a lovely day, Best Wishes Daphne

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.