October 2, 2012

Stepped-Up Stool

I am not a tall girl. So I have had one of those incredibly-handy-but-incredibly-plain Ikea BEKVAM step stools in my kitchen for the longest time. It helps me reach the top shelf of the pantry and anything on top of the kitchen cabinets easily without having to drag over a dining room chair.

And for the longest time, it remained incredibly plain:



I couldn't make up my mind if I wanted it white or stained. My kitchen cabinets are oak and I didn't want to over-do the timber look, nor did I want the starkness of pure white. So in the end I compromised and did both!


I used some leftover antique white paint from my trims, and rubbed in some walnut stain. Then to age it up a bit, I sanded back all the edges and rubbed a little stain into the bare wood.


Now it has that lovely French-farmhouse feel to it, and I love how a simple update has made a feature out of something formerly so utilitarian.

I have another one of these stools downstairs in my library. It too, is still plain, as I'm not sure how I want that one to look yet. Do you have one of these stools lurking in your home? I'd love to see what you do with it.


6 comments:

  1. Melanie,
    Thanks for sharing your cute stool at my party...luv the stain look.

    Blessings,
    Linda

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much!!! I love this stool, especially after. Ikea I can do, paint and stain I can do. Not being a tall girl myself it's perfect. Found your post at Nifty Thrifty Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lori... I don't know why I took so long!

      Delete
  3. I think it looks amazing now ;o)
    Very inspiring......
    Tania xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a fun little makeover! I've done some ikea pieces too
    Your newest follower- would love to have you visit and follow back when you have the time!
    Hugs,
    Suzan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Miss Mel how clever are you....love it!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.