November 30, 2012

12 Days of Christmas : Advent Activity Calendar

Hello and welcome to the second post in my new "12 Days of Christmas" series. If you missed the first post: Getting Organised, you can scroll down and find it beneath this one.



As it is the 1st of December tomorrow, I'd thought I'd share with you our family Advent Calendar.
Now, I will admit up front that I am not an advocate of the daily treat/gift style of advent calendar, as I don't believe they encourage the true meaning of Christmas. I personally prefer to include family activities that we can do together, to celebrate the season and create traditions and memories to treasure for many years to come. If that sounds appealing to you, then read on!


Whilst there are plenty of readily available and beautiful advent calendars, I wanted to make something myself. Something that could be part of my Christmas decor - something rustic, neutral and most of all, simple.




Twenty-four wooden clothespins, each wrapped with a family activity and dated, displayed in a crystal cut trifle bowl. It doesn't get any more simple than that :)

The wraps are available from here


Here is a sneek peek at our family-friendly Christmas activities:
(feel free to steal these ideas or make up your own)
  1. Decorate the tree
  2. Go on an elf hunt
  3. Write Christmas cards
  4. Make a snowball curtain
  5. Read about Dutch traditions & Sinterklaas 
  6. Have a Christmas music dance party
  7. Build a Lego Christmas scene
  8. Christmas activity books
  9. Get trapped in a snow globe
  10. Donate unwanted toys
  11. Buy a gift for the Wishing Tree
  12. Do a jigsaw puzzle together
  13. Make toilet-roll snowmen
  14. Play Christmas bingo and other games
  15. Sleep out under the Christmas tree
  16. Make tonight a candlelight night
  17. Go on a coin hunt
  18. Paint plaster figurines
  19. Make toilet-roll snowflakes
  20. Bake Christmas cookies
  21. Put on a Christmas play
  22. Watch a Christmas movie
  23. Wrap presents for eachother
  24. Read the Nativity story

Our holidays are also filled with activities such as baking Christmas gifts, driving to look at the Christmas lights, finding that mischievous elf, spending time with friends and having our annual photo with Santa. But these activities happen when time and or weather permits, so I don't lock them into a specific date.

(And just in case you're wondering, I have two trifle bowls, so if I need to make trifle or some other fabulous dessert, I can use the other one and still have my calendar.)
If you don't have any trifle bowls, a glass vase or hurricane vase or coffee jar or any bowl would work just as well :)




Thanks for stopping by and don't forget to join me on Monday for my very organised
Christmas Wrap Box!



Sharing this Christmas idea over at: At the Picket Fence : The Thrifty Groove

1 comment:

  1. Oh, I love this idea! I have already out it into my Christmas inspiration/ideas file! Thank you so much for sharing it with us at TTF last week. Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.