February 22, 2015

New IKEA Kitchen Reveal

Hah! I suppose it's time I got around to revealing my new kitchen... :)

Well you see  here, (yes I know that was 6 months ago!) I promised to reveal my newly renovated kitchen... only we had a few delays, as you do, and it was late August before it was all completed.
Then we had a week's holiday in Melbourne, then came the September holidays, then a week in Cairns and before I knew it the end of the year rolled around and it was holidays again.

What I'm really trying to say here, is that my new kitchen has been a mess. Really.
Totally not photo-worthy.
But now that the kids are back at school, I've been able to clear the counters and sweep away all of last year's detritus.

So, here we go...










 
Now before I go into the details, here is the design I made using the IKEA Kitchen Planner.



We desperately needed to lighten the cabinet colour, but not wanting to lose the warmth of timber, we chose STAT off-white door/drawer fronts and NUMERAR timber benchtops in beech.

So, what changes did we make? Because our kitchen is very open-plan and is the thoroughfare through to our back deck, we couldn't make any changes to the existing layout. But, we created more storage by choosing drawers instead of cabinets for under the bench, and opting for taller cabinets on the wall. Yes I have to pull up a chair to reach the second shelf, but I don't have to use those things very often.

We invested in new appliances as our oven, cooktop, rangehood and dishwasher were already 12 years old, and swapped out our big fridge for our smaller second fridge as the refrigerator cavity was made a teensy smidge narrower to accommodate the pantry. I will admit I am struggling with this a little, but I just need to be smarter at organising the fridge!

We replaced the white square tile backsplash with simple timeless subway tile and put in a new sink and tap.

The addition of the butcher's block trolley adds a little extra space that can be removed when no longer needed.
 
And what do I think? I absolutely love it. Love, love, love, love, love it! Honestly, I would put in another Ikea kitchen in a heartbeat... It's quiet, user-friendly, sturdy, easy to clean, roomy and just a sheer joy to cook in.
 
My DIY Café Sign
 
 
Next on my agenda is to fix up our sad kitchen dining table - but that's a whole other post!
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. amazing! it's such a lighter and brighter space now, and it feels like you made so many changes but you didn't really. well done!
    b

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.