March 10, 2016

IKEA LIATORP HACK: Rustic Sideboard Makeover


A BIG part of my Project 2016 plan is to de-clutter our home. As I've mentioned previously, our open plan living room is quite small. About a decade ago, in an effort to better utilise the space, I enlisted the advice of an interior designer. She suggested we invest in the Liatorp range from Ikea, as it suited the modern traditional feel of our home. Well, we went the whole hock - TV bench, two media cabinets (no longer available), console table, coffee table and sideboard. And while they've served us well, we're ready to simplify even further. There's just too much furniture in this space and the glass doors on the cabinets are only adding to the visual clutter.


I needed a solution that could tide us over until we decide what pieces we're going to keep...



 
After toying with many ideas to cover up the glass, I finally decided on some adhesive contact paper in a weathered timber look (Boyle's from Bunnings).


It went on really smoothly and after completing one of the doors, the sideboard was looking better already.






The finish is really authentic - but the thing I like the best is, it's also removable if I change my mind down the track or decide to sell the sideboard!


Now I might just have to do something about that orangey wooden tray... but that's a whole other post!

9 comments:

  1. What?! That is awesome! I didn't even know they made such a thing! I can't wait to try this! - Jerusha, TheDisneyChef.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jerusha, I'm not sure what it's called in the States, but here in Australia, we call it Contact paper. It's adhesive backed printed plastic usually used for book covering, but is also made for home décor projects. Check out your local hardware store :)

      Delete
  2. Looks great! It looks like real weathered wood! Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you hadn't said it was contact paper I would have never known. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That looks great. Love your work :D

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cool hack... The wood looks so real! Thanks again for sharing at the Celebrate Your Story Link Up Party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a difference! Thanks for sharing at Celebrate Your Story, I hope you will join us again on Monday evening!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That looks amazing! Thanks for joining Home Sweet Home!

    ReplyDelete

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.