Savoury Chicken Tart
- Puff Pastry sheets – one sheet will yield two serves
- Pesto (any flavour is fine – experiment!)
- Shredded BBQ chicken
- Vegetables of your choice, thinly sliced (see tip for my favourites)
- Oil for frying (olive oil gives the best flavour)
- Grated Cheese
- Preheat oven to 230⁰C/Fan-forced 220⁰C. Place a single sheet of puff pastry onto a baking tray lined with non-stick paper. Using a sharp knife, carefully slice each sheet in half and separate, leaving a gap between them. (If using frozen pastry, wait until defrosted before halving).
- Heat a small amount of oil in a frypan or skillet and lightly stir-fry your chosen vegetables over a high heat. Add a tablespoon of sugar to the pan and a generous splash of vinegar, stirring continuously. Add the chicken, stirring to coat, then remove from the heat and set aside.
- Spread each piece of pastry with a thin layer of pesto (and sprinkle with loads of garlic if you are so inclined). Heap each slice evenly with the chicken mixture, and season to your taste.
- Top mixture lightly with grated cheese of your choice and bake in oven for 10-12 minutes or until puffed and golden.
- Serve hot, accompanied with a side salad.
- I have used both basil pesto and the tomato kind. In a pinch, a light brushing of olive oil will do.
- My favourite vege combinations are: onion, carrot, zucchini, capsicum and semi-dried tomatoes. Pumpkin makes a wonderful addition too.
- Raw sugar and white balsamic vinegar are my personal choice for caramelising the veges.
- I love to top my tart with marinated feta cubes and grated parmesan.
Linking up to:
Make, Grow, Thrift at The Haby Goddess